While most people try hard to lose weight, some are looking for an answer to the question – How to lose weight?
The health risks of obesity are well known, but being underweight can also endanger your health.
For some people, gaining weight may be difficult, but there are foods that can help. They can also increase muscle mass and improve your overall health.
Whether you are underweight or just want to build muscle, it is important to learn how to gain weight properly – gain muscle mass with a healthy lifestyle.
Reasons for weight gain
Medical causes of underweight include long-term illnesses such as cancer, celiac disease, recovery from eating disorders, and thyroid or hormonal disorders. (1)
Another reason for gaining weight is when athletes want to increase their muscle mass.
Experts note that when gaining weight, you should strive to gain a lean body weight.
If you are underweight, see a doctor to rule out serious health problems.
How to lose weight in a healthy way
When wondering how to gain weight, you should not rush. Like weight loss, weight gain (especially lean weight) should be done gradually to adjust the cardiovascular system.
Properly chosen diet is the key to success. It is important to eat healthy food and lead a healthy lifestyle.
To find out if you need to add a few more pounds, calculate your BMI.
- underweight <18.5
- correct weight 18.5–24.99
- overweight 25-29.99
- Grade 1 obesity 30 – 34.99
- Grade 2 obesity 35 – 39.99
- obesity III. rates ≥ 40.0
If your BMI indicates that you are underweight, consult a nutritionist to verify that your calculations are correct and determine the optimal diet plan.
See also the following tips.
Consume more calories than your body consumes
Gaining weight requires an excess of calories, which means that you consume more calories than you consume each day.
Add high-calorie foods such as honey, nuts, seeds, nuts, bananas, avocados and legumes to your meals.
If you want to gain weight slowly and steadily, strive to consume 300-500 calories more than you consume per day. Thanks to this, the process of gaining weight is gradual and allows you to gain about 0.5 kg per week.
Eat lots of protein
The nutrient for gaining a healthy weight that will increase muscle mass is protein.
To build muscle mass, people need about 2 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. Someone weighing 77 pounds should consume 108 to 154 grams of protein per day.
Studies show that a high-protein diet stimulates a lot of extra calories to be converted into muscle. (2)
In addition, high-protein diets have been shown to promote muscle mass and prevent weight loss.
To increase protein intake, consider adding sources of animal protein such as poultry, fish, red meat, eggs, Bulgarian yogurt and cottage cheese, plant sources such as beans and lentils, nuts, seeds.
However, keep in mind that protein is very filling and can reduce your appetite, making it difficult for you to consume enough calories. (3) (4)
Enrich your diet with lots of carbs and fats
If gaining weight is your priority, eat a lot of foods high in carbohydrates and fats.
It is best to eat plenty of protein, fat and carbohydrates with each meal.
What foods to eat to gain weight
The following nutrient-rich foods can help a person gain weight safely and effectively.
Rice is a very filling and healthy option for weight gain. It is full of nutrients and carbohydrates that can facilitate the weight gain process. It has a good amount of healthy calories and the best part is that you stay full for longer.
Bananas are one of the best foods for weight gain that will help you find the answer to the question – how to gain weight. They are full of minerals, carbohydrates and calories. For healthy and faster weight gain, you can eat about 4-5 ripe bananas a day. This fruit also gives you energy and has a pleasant taste. They can also speed up the body’s metabolism and help with digestion.
Potatoes have a rich creamy texture and can be prepared in a variety of ways. They are full of nutrients and carbohydrates. They have an excellent taste profile and complement many types of dishes. It can be used as a main dish as a side dish.
4. Chicken breast
Chicken is a food rich in protein and can help you gain a healthy weight. In fact, it is one of the most protein foods for weight gain. They are not only delicious but also full of nutrients. One chicken breast contains about 150 calories and 4 grams of fat.
5. Whole eggs
Whole eggs are delicious, nutritious and healthy food for weight gain. It is a universal food and can be prepared in different ways. It contains large amounts of protein along with essential vitamins. Eggs are one of the most popular foods for gaining weight and muscle.
6. Red meat
Some studies show that red meat can be beneficial for people trying to lose weight. Red meat, like steak, is full of protein and fat, which can really help you gain weight.
7. Oily fish
As the name suggests, oily fish contain healthy fats that are good for your body and suitable for the weight gain process. They contain omega 3 fatty acids and are high in calories. Some of the great oily fish you can eat are salmon, tuna, mackerel and trout.
Dairy products should be your advantage when you ask yourself – “how to gain weight”. Yogurt is one of the healthiest foods for weight gain. Remember that for best results, you need to eat whole yogurt. They contain fat and a decent amount of calories.
Foods to help you gain weight
|Food||Protein per 100 grams|
tab. 1 (How to lose weight)
Healthy Ways To Build Muscle
People who are recovering from an illness or have been inactive for a long time can strive to build muscle and gain weight.
Strength training is essential. Going to the gym or other type of strength training four to five days a week is very important. But don’t forget to give yourself time to recover.
Life habits also play a role in gaining weight. Everyone needs enough sleep and rest to boost their health and well-being.
Eating four to six meals a day is a great idea to prevent hunger and maintain an active body metabolism.
3000 calorie diet for 3 days:
- breakfast: smoothie prepared with 2 cups (480 ml) of dairy products or vegetable milk, 1 cup (227 grams) of yogurt, 1 cup (140 grams) of blueberries and 2 tablespoons (33 grams) of almond oil, 1 piece of fruit and 2 pieces of cheese
- Lunch: 1 cup (100 grams) of spaghetti with 3/4 cup (183 grams) of tomato sauce and 112 grams of cooked minced beef and 1 medium loaf of bread with 1 tablespoon (14 grams) of butter. 1 tablespoon whey protein powder mixed in 1 cup (240 ml) of dairy products or vegetable milk
- dinner: 112 grams of chicken breast, 1/2 cup (84 grams) quinoa and 1 1/3 cup (85 grams) peas with sugar
- breakfast: omelette with 3 eggs with chopped onion, red and green peppers and 1/4 cup (28 grams) grated cheese with 2 cups. 28 grams of almonds, 1 cup (226 grams) of plain yogurt
- Lunch: Burger with beef or pork and wholemeal bread with 1 slice of tomato and lettuce and 1 1/2 cups (86 grams) of homemade potatoes cooked in olive oil. 1 cup (226 grams) cottage cheese and 1/2 cup (70 grams) blueberries
- dinner: 110 grams of salmon, 1 cup (100 grams) of brown rice and 5 asparagus sticks
- breakfast: 3 whole eggs, 1 apple and 1 cup (80 grams) of oatmeal prepared with 1 cup (240 ml) of milk or vegetable milk. 2 tablespoons (33 grams) peanut butter and 1 banana per 1 slice of wholemeal bread
- Lunch: 226 grams of fish fillets, 1/4 cup (32 grams) lentils and salad garnished with 1/4 cup (30 grams) walnuts. 2 sliced hard-boiled eggs on a mixed lettuce
- dinner: 4 ounces fillet steak (113 grams), 1 medium (173 grams) baked potato with 1 tablespoon (14 grams) butter and 1 cup (85 grams) broccoli