Weight loss with apple cider vinegar! Can I drink this acidic liquid (acetum) that helps you burn excess fat?
There is no magic substance with which you can lose weight quickly and without changing your lifestyle.
However, apple cider vinegar has been shown to have a number of health benefits.
Studies show that it helps lower blood sugar in type 2 diabetes and lowers LDL cholesterol.
Unpasteurized and unfiltered apple cider vinegar is full of many valuable ingredients – amino acids, enzymes, bioflavonoids and live bacterial cultures. (1) (2)
Thanks to this, it can be successfully used for both medical and cosmetic purposes.
But is it possible to lose weight with apple cider vinegar?
This article discusses the effectiveness of apple cider vinegar and weight loss.
What is apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is made by a process called fermentation. (3)
Cut or grind the apples and add the yeast (yeast) to turn their sugar into alcohol. Bacteria are then responsible for fermenting alcohol into acetic acid.
Production, of course, takes about a month, but some manufacturers speed up the process drastically, so it takes several days.
Acetic acid is the main active ingredient in apple cider vinegar.
Also known as ethanoic acid, it is an organic compound with a sour taste and strong odor. The term vinegar comes from acetumLatin word for vinegar.
About 5-6% of apple cider vinegar is made up of acetic acid. It also contains water and other acids such as malic acid. (4)
One tablespoon of apple cider vinegar contains about three calories and almost no carbs.
Acetic acid helps in fat loss
Various animal studies have shown that acetic acid in apple cider vinegar can promote weight loss and fat burning in several ways:
- Fat burning: A study in mice fed a high-fat diet with the addition of acetic acid showed a significant increase in the genes responsible for burning fat, leading to less accumulation of body fat. (5)
- Reduces insulin levels: In a study in rats, acetic acid also reduced the insulin-glucagon ratio, which may promote fat burning. (6)
- Reduces fat storage: Treatment of obese rats with acetic acid or acetate prevents weight gain and increases the expression of genes that reduce the storage of abdominal fat and fat in the liver. (7) (8)
- Suppresses appetite: Another study suggests that acetate can inhibit the centers in the brain that control appetite, which can lead to reduced food intake. (9)
- Improves metabolism: A study in rats exposed to acetic acid showed an increase in the enzyme AMPK, which increases fat burning and reduces the production of fat in the liver. (10)
Several studies in humans are needed to confirm that these effects will affect humans.
Weight loss with apple cider vinegar
Acetic acid has been shown to speed up metabolism by increasing the activity of fat-breaking down enzymes. Finally, it helps control blood sugar levels. By controlling blood sugar levels, apple cider vinegar can help prevent weight gain and obesity.
What makes apple cider vinegar good for weight loss as well is that it has no carbs and only three calories per tablespoon!
A study in humans has shown that apple cider vinegar has impressive effects on weight and body fat. (11)
The study was conducted among 144 obese adults who consumed either 1 tablespoon of vinegar, 2 tablespoons of vinegar or a placebo drink every day for 12 weeks.
Those who consume 1 tablespoon of vinegar per day:
- Weight loss: 1.2 kg
- Reduce body fat percentage: 0.7%
- Reduce waist circumference: 1.4 cm
Those who consume 2 tablespoons of vinegar a day:
- Weight loss: 1.7 kg
- Reduce body fat percentage: 0.9%
- Reduce waist circumference: 1.9 cm
The placebo group actually gained 0.4 pounds, and waist circumference increased slightly.
Another study assigned 155 randomly selected obese people to drink one or two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar a day for 12 weeks. (12)
The results clearly showed that people who drink 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar a day lose almost 2 kg, and those who drink one tablespoon lose about 1 kg.
However, according to researchers, this study does not prove that apple cider vinegar is a magical means of weight loss. But the results clearly show that it can be an effective addition to a healthy diet and increased physical activity.
In addition, a Journal of Functional Food study involving 39 adults found that participants who ate a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar dissolved in a glass of water (after a diet minus 250 calories) lost nearly 4 kg during lunch and dinner. . in 12 weeks. (13)
How to use apple cider vinegar for weight loss?
When you include it in your daily diet, you should use it in moderation.
There are several ways to include apple cider vinegar in your diet.
An important element is the amount we consume. Fortunately, the recipe is pretty simple.
To support a weight loss diet. mix 1-2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (15-30 ml) with a glass of water. Drink this mixture once a day or divide it into 2 meals – best in the morning on an empty stomach and during the day before meals.
However, this is not the only use of apple cider vinegar. It will also be ideal as an addition to many dishes – you can, for example, prepare a base for toppings and salad dressings. It can also be used successfully for marinating meat, fish and vegetables.
The best time to drink apple cider vinegar for weight loss?
The best time to drink apple cider vinegar for weight loss is before each meal. This will help you reduce the amount of food you eat and control your blood sugar.
For best results, drink it diluted with water or add it to salads or other dishes. Drinking apple cider vinegar in the morning on an empty stomach is also a great way to detoxify the body and start the day.
How much apple cider vinegar should I drink to lose weight?
Although there is no official recommended dose, most experts believe it is good to start with 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) per day.
To see results, you need to drink at least two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar a day. However, if you are just starting out, it is best to start with one tablespoon and continue slowly uphill.
As you progress, you can take 2 to 3 doses throughout the day and it may be best to take it before meals.
Taking more than this is not recommended due to potentially harmful effects at higher doses, such as drug interactions or tooth enamel erosion.
When drinking, remember to dilute apple cider vinegar with water!
Other health benefits
In addition to losing weight with apple cider vinegar, consuming it has many other health benefits.
The health benefits of apple cider vinegar include:
- Improves insulin sensitivity: A study in people with insulin resistance or type 2 diabetes showed that adding vinegar to a high-carbohydrate diet improved insulin sensitivity by 34%. (14)
- Lowers cholesterol: Studies in rats and mice have shown that apple cider vinegar raises “good” HDL cholesterol. It also lowers “bad” LDL cholesterol and triglycerides. (15) (16) (17)
- Lowers blood pressure: Animal studies have shown that vinegar can lower blood pressure by inhibiting the enzyme responsible for narrowing blood vessels. (18) (19)
- Lowers blood sugar and insulin: If consumed with foods high in carbohydrates, apple cider vinegar significantly lowers blood sugar and postprandial insulin levels. (20) (21) (22)
- Kills harmful bacteria and viruses: Vinegar fights bacteria that can cause food poisoning, including E. coli. In one study, vinegar reduced the number of certain bacteria by 90% and some viruses by 95%. (23) (24)
Although the use of apple cider vinegar is safe for most people, it carries some risks. For example:
- Apple cider vinegar is very sour. It can irritate the throat if you drink it often or in large quantities.
- Apple cider vinegar may interact with certain supplements or medications, including diuretics and insulin. This can contribute to low potassium levels.
Consuming a moderate amount of apple cider vinegar seems to help with weight loss and provides many other health benefits.
It is recommended to take about 1-2 tablespoons (15-30 ml) of apple cider vinegar a day to take full advantage of weight loss. For best results, mix with water and drink.
Remember, however, that there is no magic elixir for weight loss. Be skeptical of any approach that claims you can lose weight without reducing calories or increasing physical activity.